Rider Waite Smith, and Thoth
Occult Name: The Lord of Earthly Power
Four of Disks or Pentacles in timing: Four years; or from January 10th - 19th
Kabbalah: Chesed in Assiah
Reading with Playing Cards: Equivalent to the Four of Diamonds
The ideal of this card, both RWS and Thoth, is to maintain what one has but to avoid getting hung up on worldly pursuits, no matter what kind--achievements, monetary, love, and so on.
The Four of Disks Meaning, Thoth
The fortress is symbolic of power, and also of being prepared for war. Thus balance is a key word here--not just in pursuing worldly desires, but also in the application of power and authority.
A subtler meaning of this card, offers that if one places their entire focus over here, what are they missing out on over there.
The RWS Take on the Four of Pentacles
The figure on the RWS card has gained much, but what has he lost? He is distanced from all and is apparently alone. Who or what has he forfeited in order to gain all of that money he clings to so dearly? It appears that in letting go, we are more likely to hang on to what we have.
The Four of Disks or Pentacles Dignified or Upright
- Having the power and/or authority to achieve one's goals.
- Has set a firm foundation for a new project or enterprise to thrive.
- To have one's primary focus on the material assets they hold.
- You have astutely figured out what needs to be done.
- Effective in making a judgment call.
- Sizing things up effectively.
- A masterful and calm execution of authority.
- Strong acumen in the realm of finances.
- Regarding money - an opportunity or a change for the better.
- Gifts offered or received, to denote appreciation.
- You may be given money as a gift, or receive it as an inheritance.
- Maintaining authority over those in charge of your money, investments, and holdings.
- Working in a public office, serving in the military, working in politics, or an opportunity regarding similar.
- Enjoying a situation as it is and being reluctant to allow change in.
- Accept advice from an authority on the matter.
- A distinct area, precinct, or district.
- Desires satisfied.
- Surrounded by a perimeter or border.
- Undisclosed information affects the matter at hand.
- Being put on the spot, or forced into a position, as it were.
- Monastic or convent life.
The Four of Disks or Pentacles Ill Dignified or Reversed
- There will be some delay.
- Being watched, or keeping watch on someone else.
- You will meet opposition or other hindrances.
- Causing restrictions for, or limiting oneself.
- Material gain with negatives attached; such as receiving an inheritance due to the demise of a loved one.
- No gain to be had for the now, but in the future your goal is reachable.
- Being restricted, imposed limitations upon, or enclosed within.
- A complicated mess.
- Kept in suspense.
- Current activity may cause damage to your reputation.
- Judgments and choices not well made will create future obstacles or losses.
- Lacking wisdom in the realm of finances.
- You will encounter a negative assessment of you or your activities.
- Experiencing loss or sorrow.
- That which you desire to have is not available to you.
- What one leaves behind when they die--their estate, memories, etc.
- Generosity apart from one's standard.
- Love that cannot be.
- A problem returns.
The Five of Disks >>>
Illustrations from the Rider-Waite Tarot Deck®, known also as the Rider Tarot and the Waite Tarot, reproduced by permission of U.S. Games Systems, Inc., Stamford, CT 06902 USA. Copyright ©1971 by U.S. Games Systems, Inc. Further reproduction prohibited. The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck® is a registered trademark of U.S. Games Systems, Inc.
RWS image is a Wikimedia file from a 1909 deck originally scanned by Holly Voley http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/
Thoth image copyright (c) US Games Systems Inc.; AGMuller; O.T.O.