Rider Waite Smith, and Thoth
Occult Name: The Lord of Blended Pleasure
Four of Cups in timing: Four months; or from July 12th - 21st
Kabbalah: Chesed in Briah
Reading with Playing Cards: Equivalent to the Four of Hearts
The Four of Cups Meaning, Thoth
By the above illustrations, the Four of Cups card suggests that one person within the situation concerned, is going through a phase of dissatisfaction. Well dignified, this phase will help them move forth, to create solutions, to let go of that which does not serve. Ill dignified, them being immersed in their emotions so fully, will result in everything being "about them" (or not enough about them). This card concerns the Moon in Cancer, which leads to, amongst other things, emotional sensitivity, insecurity, feeling that one is chronically misunderstood, and a tendency to hold onto grudges. At the same time, there is a desire for the comfort of familiar surroundings.
The underlying essence, is that once a situation becomes familiar, it will no longer be all that pleasurable; but this is how all circumstances are by nature. We need to analyze, work through, and grow with them; otherwise they stagnate. This stage of introversion could in fact be helpful if acted upon.
The RWS Take on the Four of Cups
The title of this card, the Lord of Blended Pleasure, suggests that things are well; but relate the title to the imagery, and you can see that there is an underlying issue. This is blended pleasure coming to an end, or morphing into something other than blended pleasure. All that is good and all that should be treasured and nurtured, are being ignored so that he can focus squarely upon his emotions and vexations. The Four of Cups card serves to remind us that when we participate in life with joy and appreciation, affluence and gain comes in return for the energy we put out. It also serves to remind us that if we focus only upon experiencing what is good, we may well lose the taste for other important things in life.
The Four of Cups, Dignified or Upright
- Bored with what is.
- Craving for something better, not realizing what you have in front of you.
- Dissatisfaction created through a lack of interest or stimulation.
- Desiring for more than what one has; they've experienced full satisfaction, which as they don't appreciate it has left them wanting more. This could be applied in any context, including desiring for sex outside of a relationship or a bigger house, for example.
- One has achieved a significant degree of worldly success, but still has a desire for more.
- Achieving one's goal, but finding no fulfillment therein.
- Satisfied for the time being, with an unfulfilling situation.
- Failure to comprehend or accept the point of view of another, or a difference of opinion.
- Not putting your fair share of effort into a relationship.
- Banality, triteness.
- Experiencing aggravation.
- Boredom leading to disinterest.
- Unhappy with the situation at hand.
- Feeling misunderstood, or unable to have oneself understood.
- Avoiding to communicate true feelings in fear of being misunderstood.
- Cutting oneself off emotionally from another.
- Perceived problems are not actual, but are the a result of letting one's emotions cause imaginary circumstances.
- A circumstance that overall provides you comfort, is somewhat restricting or causing issue in some way.
- Maintaining one's distance, especially from a partner.
- Failure to see, and therefore accept, opportunities as they open up.
- The "new love" phase, the joyous part of a relationship, is ending.
- If you are expecting a phone call, an email, or a text, it will come.
- In reply to a query of whether something is near or far, this card suggests near or local.
- A penchant for Internet, texting, or any electronic activity or device.
- Feeling imposed upon.
- Children of a previous relationship of one partner have been introduced into a relationship, and it is causing issue.
- An invalid opinion based upon erroneous information.
- Feeling somewhat uncomfortable in a new setting. May feel obstructed, or be unsure of how to proceed with local protocol. This could be in a new relationship setting, a new job, or during travel.
The Four of Cups, Ill Dignified or Reversed
- Feelings of interest, motivation, and excitement renewed.
- Someone new introduced into the family.
- An encounter with someone yet unknown to you.
- You meet someone, but they remain as a mere acquaintance.
- A small business merger.
- A discovery or revelation is made, perhaps through meditation, but not necessarily so.
- An epiphany.
- An omen.
- Receiving a message through intuition. Prognosticating, foretelling; can refer directly to the ability of clairsentience.
- A gift.
- In pursuit of higher level than earthly aspirations.
- Developing a new appreciation for what is.
- Opening up emotionally.
- Disclosing one's true feelings.
- Making oneself emotionally available.
- Feeling that one has (finally) been understood.
- Realizing that there had previously been a misunderstanding.
- Accepting what has been offered, or pursuing an opportunity.
- Being given instruction or guidance.
- The phone call, email, or text you were expecting will not come.
- Far away distance-wise.
- Habitually engaged in Internet activity, texting, or any electronic time-wasting method.
- Experiencing actual troubles.
- Feeling revulsion.
- Dealing with horror or trauma.
- Worldly gains ill-gotten.
RWS image is a Wikimedia file from a 1909 deck originally scanned by Holly Voley http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/
Thoth image copyright (c) US Games Systems Inc.; AGMuller; O.T.O.