Meanings Upright, Ill-dignified, and Reversed, rx
Rider Waite Smith, and Thoth
Occult Name: The Lord of Abundance
Three of Cups in timing: Three months; or from July 2nd - 11th
Kabbalah: Binah in Briah
Reading with Playing Cards: Equivalent to the Three of Hearts
The Three of Cups, RWS and Thoth
If one wants to live a rich and joyous life, they should be socially interactive, kind, compassionate, giving, reliable, honest, trustworthy, and so on and so forth. By putting positive aspects of yourself out there, and by graciously accepting help and good natured offerings given you by those within your community or social circle, you are paving the road to success.
Additionally, being a valid part of a community or any group, helps steer you towards being a well rounded human and spiritual being. Some people experience negatives within their communities or social circles, and the hit they take turns them reclusive. For a while the seclusion may feel comforting as their ego and spirit heal. After a while though comes time when that individual should ideally return to their social standing. If they can't make it work, then a more appropriate setting is required, one where they feel they belong.
The Three of Cups at times represents some darker possibilities. For one thing it hints at the fact that too much of any good thing, is no longer a good thing. It can also relate to people presenting their best self in order to meet their ends, but their kind words and actions don't relay the truth of their feelings. In essence though, the Three of Cups is telling us that we need to be living as a part of the great united oneness of being; and that if we don't, some of life's better rewards may evade us.
The Three of Cups Dignified and Upright
- Acting within a community, social circle, family, etc.
- Friendships, and interactions with friends.
- A circumstance involving abundance.
- A celebration or a reason to celebrate, including the possibility of a birth, engagement, holiday, or wedding.
- A reunion.
- An event where there's fun to be had.
- An enjoyable style of living.
- The type of friend that can be counted on.
- A good/valued/appreciated community member.
- Healthy social interactions.
- You will achieve what you are setting out to do.
- A goal has been satisfactorily reached.
- According to one's requisites or wishes.
- Something that makes you feel happy, or at least better.
- Sound reasoning was used in making a choice or in an assessment.
- Feasting, eating, and drinking.
- Purchasing a new outfit.
- Time off of work for R & R or a holiday.
- Feeling better than you would on an average day.
- Discovering the solution to a problem.
- A reason to put on makeup and wear your Sunday best.
- May refer singing, dancing, or both.
- You are experiencing joy, and wish to share the feeling with others.
- You will obtain even more of what you seek than what is required.
- Be a team player.
- A return to good health or a more energetic state.
- A cure is available.
- Sexual activity.
The Three of Cups Ill Dignified and Reversed
- In need of help from one's family or community.
- You've been experiencing rejection from a group of people, or are feeling that you have been.
- Being subtly undermined by someone within your social circle.
- You have reached the end of a period of rest and/or withdrawal.
- Being overly trusting of those within your community.
- Lacking in something you want, need, or crave.
- Overindulgence in sexual activity.
- Feeling down.
- Sent abroad, or transferred to another location.
- A conclusion, or putting closure on a circumstance.
- Quick or hurried.
- Having an affair.
- Withdrawal from habitual activity.
- Not feeling up to participating in a social event.
- Someone is only present for the good time to be had.
- Too much of a good thing causing subsequent problems; e.g., a year of bumper crops will cause the prices paid to sellers for produce to fall.
- Indulgences; may include alcohol, medication, drugs, or wallowing in negative emotions.
- Health matters related to overeating or consuming too much alcohol.
The Four of Cups >>>
RWS image is a Wikimedia file from a 1909 deck originally scanned by Holly Voley http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/
Thoth image copyright (c) US Games Systems Inc.; AGMuller; O.T.O.