Meanings Upright, Ill-dignified, and Reversed, rx
Rider Waite Smith, and Thoth
Occult Name: The Lord of Material Works
Three of Disks or Pentacles in timing: Three years; or from December 31st - January 9th Kabbalah: Binah in Assiah
Reading with Playing Cards: Equivalent to the Three of Diamonds
The Three of Disks (Pentacles) Meaning
The Three of Disks urges you to take pride in what you do, be it your career, an enterprise, or a relationship; nothing great happens without due effort on your part. It can also refer to a situation experiencing beneficial change; but effort is an underlying factor... nothing "just happens," even when it appears to have done just that.
In matters financial, it's a great card to see, as it speaks of a great potential for financial affluence.
Ad: Pentagram (Pentacle) Altar Tile, on Amazon
The Three of Disks (Pentacles) Dignified or Upright
- Your efforts have achieved a positive end result.
- Taking pride in one's work.
- High quality, dependable workmanship.
- An adept and skilled worker.
- A healthy interactive collaboration.
- May refer to you being kind in interactions with others, or them being kind to you.
- Engaging in the dynamics of society (social interactions, gestures of good will, etc) will help you to achieve success.
- May refer to society's upper crust, such as royalty, the wealthy, those who have achieved fame and fortune, and so on.
- A noble demeanor.
- An artisan or tradesman.
- Career, work, occupation, or profession.
- Urges you to perform acts of kindness and generosity for those around you.
- Paid work.
- Spiritually sound.
- Regarded for taking sound action.
- Fixing up that which has suffered erosion through time and decay, neglect, or the elements.
- Leading by example.
- May refer to a connection that will prove beneficial in career or finances.
- A healthy marriage or other relationship.
- At times refers to one's rightful place and/or function within society.
- You get out of a situation an equivalent value to what you invest in it.
- Creating improvements that will enable optimal success.
- A sharp mind as applied to business, enterprise, financial matters, and so on.
- Construction and/or architecture.
- Has achieved a high status within their trade.
- Having great expectations or magnificent goals.
- Is held in high regard.
- A "big deal," or a large event or happening.
The Three of Disks (Pentacles) Ill Dignified or Reversed
- Poor workmanship.
- A connection doesn't yield the desired result, or just isn't what you had hoped for.
- Immaturity or childishness.
- Splitting hairs or "nit-picking"; far too detail oriented.
- Perceived shortcomings or weaknesses.
- Embarrassment or humiliation.
- Perceiving one's value as lower than others.
- One's actions are considered detrimental, harmful, or despicable.
- A person who is disliked or under-appreciated.
- Lacking the team player spirit, or is outrightly selfish.
- Uses business acumen to meet own ends.
- Unethical behavior.
- Biased thinking.
- Goals are grander than what can realistically be achieved.
- May refer to fanfare, frivolity, epic silliness, or much ado about nothing.
- Small rewards.
- On a small scale.
- A humble individual.
- Current actions are making matters worse.
- Undoing what has already been achieved.
- A sudden change for the worse.
- Seen as poor or needy.
- Lacking class.
- Begging, or behavior that comes across as beggar-like.
- Work done only for the profit to be had.
- Overly concerned with pleasing others.
- May refer to childhood.
- Unkind acts that seem purposely executed to harm one or more others.
- A matter that should be insignificant is blown up to become something large.
- You were working on a matter that didn't turn out quite as you wanted; however, there is nothing stopping you from creating improvement either now or later on.
RWS image is a Wikimedia file from a 1909 deck originally scanned by Holly Voley http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/
Thoth image copyright (c) US Games Systems Inc.; AGMuller; O.T.O.