Rider Waite Smith, and Thoth
Occult Name: The Lord of Established Strength
Three of Wands in timing: Three days; or from March 31st to April 10th
Qabalah: Binah in Atziluth
Astrological: Sun in Aries
Reading with Playing Cards: Equivalent to the Three of Clubs
The Three of Wands, RWS
The Three of Wands, Thoth
The lotus wands depicted on the Thoth Three of Wands card, represent Leo's energies of creation, and also power, as their number is three. Three is powerful given its standing in Qabalah, as it represents the supernal triad. The orange coloration speaks of awakening, strength and endurance; also, the heat and energy of the sun, and thereby divinity and creation. Yellow alludes to wisdom, and again, the sun and creation. There are are sixteen flames; sixteen is a reflection of 61, which in gematria encompasses Nothing, as Ain, but also All, as House. Of the sixteen flames, ten are crimson (the color denoting passion and will), six are white (illumination, kindness, and spirituality). Furthermore, sixteen is 4 x 4, which when building structure, will provide a solid foundation.
Ten, the number of the red flames, is the number of perfection; as well it is a building block number, as all great numbers are founded upon it. The numeral six, of the white flames, again alludes to the sun and its harmonious energies.
This card has all the makings of manifestation, success, and fruition. Yet in and of itself it is not success, nor is it manifestation (it is both all and nothing!). In fact, it is as fertilization is to the process of having a child; in this way it contains success within it.
Ad: The Illuminati Tarot Kit on Amazon
The Three of Wands Dignified or Upright
- Represents commerce and enterprise, or any new project; it is a beginning phase.
- Use strategy, planning, and foresight.
- A positive card to see in a business related reading - people like what you are doing, and there are no obstacles.
- Refers to working with any or all of the virtues of strength, charisma, and will.
- Someone new joins your project, and will fill their role well.
- Determined to reach one's ends.
- Being in charge.
- An ambitious person.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Weighing up an opportunity available to you.
- The courage to proceed towards goals and dreams.
- In reference to sex, refers to endurance and strength.
- A liaison or go-between.
- Making a discovery that will aid you in your pursuits.
- Sharpness of intellect and perception.
- Gallantry and/or nobility in actions.
- Taking pride in one's work and other engagements.
- Sometimes suggests outside input, as it is a three after all.
- In a time of difficulty, someone is ready, willing, and suitably able to help you.
- Looking at the big picture.
- A conference or negotiation.
- Seeking adventure.
- Putting out due effort.
The Three of Wands Ill Dignified or Reversed
- Choosing not to cooperate.
- A failure to follow through.
- One's goals and dreams open up to them, but they are not responding.
- Sometimes refers to vices.
- A takeover, or any means of usurping power.
- In the past you faltered; now you are being put to the test.
- From your current standpoint things look confusing and unstable.
- Avoidance of getting involved.
- Fear is holding you back.
- Choosing not to get involved for moral reasons.
- The end of a period of difficulty in enterprise.
- Concluding a phase of hard work.
- A troubling issue is now over.
- Not having the strength to continue.
- A period of rest.
- Termination of a project or venture.
- Negative input or interference.
- A come and go approach - at times committed, and other times not.
- Lacking a reasonable degree of discretion.
- Moving ahead despite reservations, but knowing to remain aware.
- Don't proceed yet, you need to gather more resources or information.
- With multiple approaches available, upon facing failure, try another.
- Certain vices are tempting you.
- Lacking modesty.
- Demonstrating disrespect.
RWS image is a Wikimedia file from a 1909 deck originally scanned by Holly Voley http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/
Thoth image copyright (c) US Games Systems Inc.; AGMuller; O.T.O.